Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Spring Break with Boo

Boo was an absolute peach over spring break. The first day she was a little darling when we went to North Block together. She did well during all the workshops throughout the day. She even fell asleep on my lap during one of them. We had a long day starting from 7 a.m. wake-up to 5 p.m. when we left Akron University.
The second day we had to stay out of the house all day because my family and I had an open house. My family decided to take me out for lunch to celebrate my birthday. We went to a restaurant called The Barn. The Barn has a pond out front and there were a bunch of geese and ducks wandering around. Boo kept trying to eat all the poop on the ground and she kept trying to scare the birds away. During lunch, she passed out under the table and didn't wake up until we were leaving. On Monday of break, we went to a lot of places and she did well in all of them. She followed all her commands and didn't try to do anything to get herself into trouble. On Tuesday, Boo and I didn't do anything. We stayed at home all day and did nothing.














On Wednesday, Boo had to go to the 4Paws facility to have surgery on Thursday. We had to take a two-and-a-half-hour car ride to get down there. She did well for most of the ride. She slept for about two hours and then she was awake for the last half hour. When we got to 4Paws, we were out of the car for about five minutes before they took her into the back. So I got back into the car after she went in and took the two and half hour drive back. Thankfully good music kept me sane on the drive. Getting back that night was weird because I was used to having Boo attached to my side and hearing her tags clinking together. On Thursday, I had to go back to pick Boo up. After I got to 4Paws again, I had to wait around for about 15 minutes for the van that had her to show up. When she came into view, she looked like she was a drunken sailor. She was so drugged up and out of it that she couldn't walk straight. She also got put in a cone of shame. She hit it on the door when we were walking out and she also kept scraping it along the grass when she was finding a spot to use the bathroom. On the ride back, she slept for about two hours and for the last stretch of the drive she turned around to face toward the back of the car and smashed her cone into a burrito on her face by sticking her head between the car door and my backseat.


My family had set up a puppy prison for Boo while we were gone, and when we got home she went in the room. I think she was kind of confused at first because she had her kennel downstairs when it usually is upstairs, so she decided to go in it. Bad idea on her part. She still didn't know how to maneuver her cone so she got herself upset when she couldn't turn back around. Boo came running over to me and whining. She would do this almost any time she got stuck on something. That night she refused to go into her kennel and sleep, so I had to sleep in the room with her. She woke up every hour or so and proceeded to crash her cone up against the wall or on me. Boo and I didn't get much sleep that night. When morning finally rolled around, I took her cone off, because I was supervising her, she fell right to sleep. She was completely passed out. On Friday, Boo either slept or whined. She didn't like being in the puppy prison and she was letting everyone in the house know. Saturday, she did a lot better and was starting to act more like herself. She and I were able to go out on a short walk around our yard since she isn't allowed any off-leash activity for about a week. Sunday, Boo and I made the trek back to campus. She was good the entire ride and didn't wake up until we were getting off the highway.

Spring break was both entirely too long, but also way too short. I'm glad I got to spend it all with Boo.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, glad that Boo is on the mend. Wearing the cone of shame is never fun for any pup. Dogs are the best companions. While spring break probably did seem really long, I can't think of any better companion for you. Thanks for sharing, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that Boo is doing great. She is so adorable, even with the cone of shame! I am so glad that you got to spend a lot of time with Boo. I am sure it was hard and not quite as relaxing of a spring break as you would like. I commend you on all the hard work and effort you put into Boo and the the 4 Paws for Ability organization. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you and Boo had an amazing break together! I think is so cool how she is able to experiences so many new place and behave so well. If I ever took my dog anywhere he would be barking and trying to get into anything and everything. I hope Boo is doing well after her surgery and that I get to learn more about the adventures the two of you have together.

    ReplyDelete