Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Goodbye Boo

I don't know how many of you know, but Boo had to go back to 4Paws for Ability for additional training. It wasn't easy when my co-handlers and I were told the news. She was an amazing dog to have around and we weren't expecting it. We learned it on April 19, which meant we had five days to say our goodbyes to her. She finished her last classes with me on Thursday and completely finished with my co-handlers on Friday.

 On Saturday, we took her to the Columbus Zoo to give her one last day of fun with us. She seemed to have an amazing time while we were there. We started off by seeing the baby polar bears. She was very excited when Aurora came up to her and was looking at her through the glass. Boo took having a polar bear in her face like a champ. When we were wandering around, the North American part, the animals were very curious of Boo and Boo didn't care one bit. She only really cared about seeing on animal and it was the wolverine. She was too short to look into the exhibit so I ended up picking her up so she could see.

We headed to Asia and she still didn't care too much about any of the animals. Though the leopard was very curious of her and tried to follow us. We then moved on to go see everything in the Africa portion of the zoo. The cheetahs there kept trying follow her when we started to walk away. When we got to some of the monkeys, they were very curious of her. They all just stared at her, and she just stared back. She did really well with the lions also.

We then moved on to Congo. She had the most fun there. The monkeys are either very curious of dogs or they don't like them at all. I know we had a bunch staring us down and we also had some come up to the glass and pound on it. She always had fun staring at them and that's when we finished our day. She really had a fun time and was so tired at the end of it that she slept the entire way back to campus.

On Sunday, she had her big day. We had to drive to Xenia to give her back for good. Before going to 4Paws, we stopped at Wright Sate University to play at their service dog park. She had a lot of fun and I was able to get a lot of nice pictures of her. My co-handlers and I were able to take photos with her to try and show her growth over the past seven months. She's gotten pretty big. When we got to 4Paws, we said our goodbyes and watched her head out. It was heart-breaking but, she's off to go do amazing things. I wish her the best of luck and I hope she finds her forever home soon.




8 comments:

  1. It has been fun to have Boo in class with us. The zoo must have been an experience for her. It must have been hard to say goodbye, she was a good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to miss having her in class! You have been so great to her and I know that she will never forget you. That is so cute that you too her to the zoo I'm sure she had a blast seeing other animals. I know it must have been hard to let her go, but she will do great things! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its always hard saying goodbye when we get attached to our furry friends! I'm sure you guys had so much fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gonna miss having her around the house and watching her grow up. but I know she will end up doing great things for someone in need. she's a great dog and even though she is gone she will always be apart of our family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The retriever side of Boo is very strong! She will bring you just about anything which is a true asset! We loved having her around and wish our Boogirl the best of luck as she continues in her journey to a full fledged service dog! Love ya Boogirl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm for sure going to miss seeing Boo in class and around campus! Her day at the zoo looked like so much fun. It was definitely a great goodbye adventure. It's awesome to know that she's moving on to go do great things. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boo was such a great dog! I will miss seeing her around but I am sure you miss her more. It must be incredibly hard to let the dogs go after you put so much time and effort into making them a great service dog. Hopefully it is rewarding for you to see her working and helping a family that needs it! I'm positive that whoever is lucky enough to keep her will love her as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so hard to see her go, and not be with you all the time. She really was a great dog. I am so glad you and Boo had a great time at the zoo. I just love how well she behaves, in situations where most others animals would go crazy. I am sure she will find her forever home soon!

    ReplyDelete